2017 Marine Harvest London Shield - Kingussie Camanachd

2017 Marine Harvest London Shield - Kingussie

2017 London Shield Final

Kingussie U17 4 Oban Camanachd U17 4 (AET Kingussie won 1-0 on penalties)

Kingussie U17 won the London Shield, eventually edging out Oban Camanachd U17 on penalties following their 4-4 draw in a thrilling encounter at The Dell.

The final was originally scheduled for Craigard Park , Invergarry but that was ruled unplayable so the pre-agreed contingency plan came into place and the venue was switched to Kingussie’s The Dell. 

This was Oban Camanachd’s third successive London Shield final and they went into the game as holders having beaten Skye at The Eilan in 2016.

Oban Camanachd got off to a great start with Ross Campbell putting them in front on 5 minutes. Oban increased their advantage in the 9th minute when Lewis Buchanan knocked a rebound home to make it 2-0.

Kingussie worked their way into the game and after 33 minutes Roddy Young  slotted the ball past keeper Cameron Sutherland at the far post to make it 2-1 and this was the score at half time. 

Into the second half both teams created chances then Ruaridh Anderson drew Kingussie level on 46 minutes with the goal coming following a corner. Kingussie took the lead for the first time on 67 minutes with Roddy Young  shooting into the bottom corner of the net for his second goal of the game.

Oban Camanachd showed great character to bounce back and it was no surprise when Lennon Campbell equalised on 76 minutes to make it 3-3.

Following an exciting 80 minutes, referee Deek Cameron blew for full time and the final went into extra-time.

Kingussie restarted the stronger and Ruaridh Anderson put them back in front 4-3 on the 81st minute. 

Oban Camanachd again showed their character and pushed forward. Their efforts were rewarded in 95 minutes when a penalty was given after an offence in the D. Lewis Buchanan calmly stepped forward and scored his second goal of the game to make it 4-4.  

This tight and dramatic game then went to a penalty shoot out.  Surprisingly only one penalty was scored and this was the final one by Kieran MacPherson to give Kingussie a 1-0 win. 

Both squads and their coaches deserved the appreciation shown by the good sized crowd.

Kingussie captain Ruaridh Anderson was presented with the London Shield by Iain Johnston from sponsors Marine Harvest.  

Photograph courtesy of Neil G Paterson

More News

Platinum Sponsors

Partner Sponsors

Connect With Us

© 2017