Dunoon beat Bute to win South U14 League

The Victorious Dunoon U14 Squad

The Under 14’s South League came to a climax at Dunoon Grammar School on Friday night where Dunoon hosted Bute in the final game of the season.

Bute required only a draw to secure the title and for Dunoon it was a must win if they were to get their hands on the trophy.

With a healthy home crowd looking on, it was Dunoon who started the brighter, were on the front foot and pushed the islanders back. Bute had appeared to weather the early storm but the pressure told on 12 minutes when Ross Donald found himself free at the back of the ’D’ to power the home side in front with a low shot into the net.

The home side were a constant threat as the midfield of Kyle Kerr, Marcus Keith and Steven Thompson kept the opponents at bay and continually provided for the strikers. The good pass and move shinty was rewarded on 20 minutes when an angled through ball found Neily McNaughton wide on the left and he rifled an unstoppable shot high into the net. The home team were now playing with confidence and the early nerves were long forgotten.

Bute only had occasional raids on the Dunoon goal, the defence, Sandy Stuart and Sam Bulloch were marshalled by Murray McClymont and were up to the task to mop up when required. On 25 minutes Bute appeared to grab a lifeline in the game when the ball was bundled over the line but the referee had spotted a kick and the free hit went in favour of Dunoon. To rub salt in the wound, on 27 minutes, Neily McNaughton was on hand to bag his brace and give the home side a comfortable cushion going into halftime.

The second half continued as the first ended, the home side were pulling the Bute side all over the park with the intelligent movement from the forwards and on 32 minutes, Finan Kennedy was on the end of a great move to expertly lob the keeper. It appeared to be a lead that would not be threatened. Bute tried to press forward to get a foothold in the game, only occasional shots threatened Innes Lambert in goal who kept his cool to relieve any sustained pressure on his defence.

In their quest for a goal, Bute were caught on the counter and a free flowing move from a Sam Bulloch and Mark Crowe found Marcus Keith to fire home from range on 45 minutes. The winner of this contest was  not in doubt as Dunoon dominated in all departments, Butes woes would continue with the introduction of the industrious Rory Oxland and Drew McDonagh-Myer who never gave the Bute defence a minutes rest. With time running out, Bute grabbed a consolation with 5 minutes to go through Steven Dunn.

It was a tremendous effort from the Dunoon side who ran out 5-1 winners on the night and only dropped 3 point throughout the season to take the title. Colin Cameron from the Camanachd Association was on hand to present the trophy to Dunoon captain Kyle Kerr

More News

Connect With Us

Website made by Sugar Rush Creative

© 2017