Health & Wellbeing in Shinty
The Camanachd Association (CA) believe that we need to work towards creating a healthy environment that is inviting to all and which promotes the integration of healthy behaviours and values into the everyday activities of shinty. We are committed to promoting health and well-being and have provided a number of template policies below to support our member clubs and associations with this goal.
Health and Wellbeing covers a wide range of topics including Fitness – Nutrition – Hydration – First Aid – Concussion - Alcohol & Drugs, Smoking – Mental Health – Anti-Bullying – Screening - Community activity. One of the highest profile aspects of health and wellbeing was recently covered in a half time feature by BBC Alba.
This subject was also covered in a video for the www.feetandaway.co.uk website produced by Duncan Gorman from Newtonmore.
The Camanachd Association, in partnership with Sports Chaplaincy Scotland, were delighted that Kyles Athletic were the Pilot Club for the Shinty Sports Chaplaincy programme in 2019. This will be rolled out to other clubs in 2020/21.
The role of club chaplains is to be a help, support and encouragement to everyone connected with a sports club and they are available to people of all faiths and no faith. They are pastoral safety nets, able to provide counsel and advice on a range of issues which potentially can have an effect on everyone’s performance, and more important, their personal wellbeing. They are confidantes, a friend to all at the club: Player – Coach – Manager – Committee member. Their goal is through regular, natural interaction to become known, liked, trusted and approachable. Full details are on the separate Shinty Chaplaincy page in About Us.
The BBC Radio Scotland report on the launch of the Kyles Athletic pilot programme is available by clicking here
The CA is also promoting a Club Health & Wellbeing Ambassador programme. Full details on a separate page in About US.
Additional Mental Health information and contacts:
- Scottish Association of Mental Health - 0141 530 1000
- Samaritans: www.samaritans.org
- Call: 08457 90 90 90 Text: 07725 90 90 90 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Choose Life: www.chooselife.net
- SAMH: www.samh.org.uk/media/125564/after_a_suicide.pdf
- Breathing Space: www.breathingspace.scot
AIM: The aim of The Camanachd Association policy is to help support our member Clubs and Associations to become a healthier place for all to enjoy.
- The CA will facilitate healthy participation in Scotland’s most iconic team sport of Shinty.
- The CA is age-friendly and caters for our members throughout their lifespan.
- The CA will hold Health and Wellbeing as a core value – it is everyone’s responsibility and we all play a part.
- The CA will encourage and support our members to be the healthy heartbeat of their community.
- The CA will engage with the wider community to build a stronger understanding and implementation of Health and Wellbeing.
- The CA will strive to set high Health and Wellbeing standards.
- The CA and its members have a role to play in supporting the physical, mental and social health of the shinty community.
- The CA will empower our members to enjoy healthier lives and help them to make the healthy choice the easy choice.
- The CA will leave a legacy that enhances the health of the next generation.
- The CA encourages and supports its member clubs and associations to be fully inclusive and develop people not just players.
To support this policy and our member clubs and associations the following resources are available as downloads:
- Camanachd Association Anti-Bullying Policy for Clubs
- Sample: Club Health & Wellbeing statement
- Sample: Club Alcohol & Drugs Policy
- Sample: Club Anti Bullying statement
- Sample: Club Mental Health statement
- Sample: Smoke Free Policy statement
- Scottish Sports Concussion Guidelines
Regional Support Groups:
For free and confidential drugs information call the KNOW THE SCORE Information line 08005 875879 to speak to a trained advisor or visit the website http://www.knowthescore.info/
The Camanachd Association became a signatory of Scotland's Mental Health Charter for Physical Activity in Sport in June 2018. The Charter is a Scottish Association for Mental Health (SAMH) initiative and is downloadable here. Our Charter Poster is also available for downloading here along with the SAMH map and the SAMH toolkit
We have a some examples of Mental Health support Info-graphics available below. More are available on request.
1) 20 ways to look after your Mental Health
2) How to respond when someone talks to you about their Mental Health
3) Helpful vs Un helpful things to say to someone experiencing a Mental Health problem
We also have examples of Drug awareness information.
1) The truth about drugs: Know the score
2) You, Your Child and Drugs
If you require any assistance please contact the CA office on 01463 715931