Kingussie are 2019 MacTavish Juvenile Cup Winners

Kingussie U17 lifted the MacTavish Juvenile Cup, twice coming from behind to beat Newtonmore U17 3-2 in a thrilling final at the Bught Park, Inverness on Saturday 15 June 2019.  

Kingussie beat their Fort William counter-parts on penalties to reach the final whilst it took extra-time for Newtonmore to account for Skye in their last-four tie.  

The players and officials were piped onto the field and there was heavy rainfall ahead of this 1pm throw up which left the surface slippery.  

Newtonmore took the lead on 10 minutes. Declan Brannan played the ball down-field from the edge of the centre circle. Ritchie Irvine got the ball under control before slipping a short pass to Struan Ross. The ‘More skipper took the ball to the left before sending a glorious back-hand drive into the roof of the net to make it 1-0.  

Both sides had chances during the first 40 minutes but ‘More took their single goal advantage into the break.  

Kingussie, who were beaten finalists last year, drew level 4 minutes after the restart. Cammie Leiper’s free-hit from midway inside his own half dropped for Ewan Baker at the front of the D. Baker controlled the ball before turning and sending a low drive into the net to make it 1-1.  

Newtonmore regained the lead on 51 minutes. Brodie MacBean did well to win possession and he played a one-two with Xander Ross before racing down the right and sending a great drive into the net from a tight angle.  

Kingussie drew level for a second time on the hour. Roma Fraser, Joe Donald and Cammie Leiper worked the ball upfield. Ewan Baker still had plenty to do when Leiper played the ball to him but he turned his marker before going on a jinking run goalwards and then confidently slotting the ball past the keeper to claim a special goal.      

The winning goal came with 10 minutes remaining. Cluanie Fraser launched the ball forward from wide on the left. Michael Slimon beat his marker before laying the ball off to Ewan Baker who made space for himself as he took the ball to his left and firing a superb shot into the top corner of the net to notch his third goal which put the Kings ahead for the first time in the final.  

The closing stages were keenly contested but when referee Steven MacLachlan blew for time, and brought this exciting encounter to an end; the Kingussie celebrations began.  

Once the players had received their medals, Luke Smith from sponsors presented the MacTavish Juvenile Cup to Kingussie captain Joe Donald.  

Ewan Baker’s hat-trick and all-round performance earned him the Sandy MacKay medal as man of the match.  

More News

Platinum Sponsors

Partner Sponsors

Connect With Us

© 2017