Kyles Athletic make it 5 in a row in Gregor Cameron Glasgow Celtic Society Cup Final

Kyles Athletic boss James Perlich was without Innes MacDonald who was sidelined with a foot injury whilst Grant Irvine was only fit enough to take up a place on the bench. Dunkie Kerr played with a protective cover on a hand injury.

Oban Camanachd manager Iain Hay was denied the services of Gary McKerracher and Daniel MacVicar who were both on holiday but Scott MacMillan was free of suspension and he started in midfield.

A blustery wind and heavy showers throughout the game made it difficult for both teams as they players tried to settle into the match.

Kyles struck first; going in front after only 6 minutes. Some nice one-touch shinty between Donald Irvine, Roddy MacDonald and Gordon Whyte set up a chance for Dunkie Kerr and he gave keeper Gavin Stobbart no chance with a shot from just outside the D.

Kyles went on to have the better of the first half but they were unable to add to their tally and had to settle for a single goal lead at the break.

However Kyles doubled their advantage within a minute of the restart. Gordon Whyte picked out Dunkie Kerr’s run from a free-hit and Kerr, playing with a hand injury, sent the ball low into the net to make it 2-0.

Kyles Athletic substitute Sandy MacKenzie was involved in his team’s third goal within seconds on coming onto the pitch. MacKenzie’s shot was saved by Gavin Stobbart but Roddy MacDonald reacted first to knock the rebound into the net to make it 3-0 with on 65 minutes played.

Oban Camanachd’s Daniel Cameron, who had earlier been forced off with an eye injury, pulled a goal back on 80 minutes. Scott MacMillan lofted a ball into the goal area and Daniel Cameron ran in to confidently slip the ball past Kyles keeper John Whyte to make it 3-1.

Oban Camanachd finished strongly but Kyles saw out the closing stages to take the trophy back to Tighnabruaich.

Dunkie Kerr was named man of the match and received the Donald J MacNiven memorial medal from Mary MacNiven; Donald’s widow.

Match referee Lachie Wood was the recipient of the Jack Asher memorial medal. All that was left was for Kyles Athletic captain Gordon Whyte to be presented with the Glasgow Celtic Society Cup by sponsor Gregor Cameron.

Kyles Athletic from: John Whyte; Calum Miller, Ross MacRae, Cameron Keith, Andrew King; Robbie MacLeod, Donald Irvine, Thomas Whyte; Gordon Whyte (captain), Dunkie Kerr, Scott MacDonald, Roddy MacDonald; subs Sandy MacKenzie, Brandon Wilson, Colin MacDonald, Grant Irvine, Donald Nicolson.

Oban Camanachd from: Gavin Stobbart, Garry Lord (captain), Daniel Cameron, Scott MacKillop, Marc MacCallum; Scott MacMillan, Lorne Dickie, Aidan McIntyre; Malcolm Clark, Willie Neilson, Matt Rippon, Andrew MacCuish; subs David Lafferty, Lewis Buchanan, Daniel MacCuish, Craig MacDougall, Cameron Sutherland.

Match Referee – Lachie Wood

Goal Judges – Ross Brown & Des McNulty

Fourth Official - Robert Baxter

More News

Connect With Us

Website made by Sugar Rush Creative

© 2017